Sunday, April 4, 2010

Thoughts on Fasting

For lent this year, I decided to fast one day a week. I had gotten the idea from my friend Jacque, who was also fasting once a week. I did this on weekdays, and chose to not eat breakfast and lunch, breaking the fast after work, for dinner. Some of my thoughts on this choice:

- I really wasn't concerned about health. In general, I'd argue that most adult Americans would benefit from (or at the very least, not be hurt by) eating less food.**
- Some days were more difficult than others. I think this depended on a variety of things, including what I ate the night before, and if I exercised the day before.
- One of the difficult aspects was how to approach this from a work standpoint. This was something that was a personal decision that I was keeping (for the most part) to myself. I often work in an environment where I'm in a room with one other person all day. I tried to choose days when I was working by myself, or would not need to explain why I didn't want to join for lunch.
- I did notice some change in my work by the afternoon on fast days. I was less focused.

From a spiritual standpoint, there were benefits as well. This was probably most noticeable on Good Friday, when I didn't eat until communion during the service in the evening. I think it made the day and service 'hit home' more for me, as I recollected on the day. Easter dinner was also a great way to celebrate Easter, the end of lent, and Christ rising from the dead.

From a work/physical standpoint, I am glad that this complete - eating lunch on a work day is, if nothing else, a nice break from the day. That's all. I hope Easter was wonderful for all of you!

** On a trivial note, while reading "Superfreakonomics" by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner (a follow-up to "Freakonomics," also a good read), I learned that Muslim babies born during May are have a higher likelihood of "[having] visual, hearing, or learning disabilities as an adult," due to their mothers day-fasting during Ramadan (currently starting in mid-August). The loss of nutrition during the first month of pregnancy can have a lasting detrimental effect on the unborn child. This has been seen in southeast Uganda (where Islam is predominant), as well as in certain Michigan regions, where there are also large Muslim populations.

No comments:

Post a Comment